FSW was created in 2007. In 2006 six of us made a weekend trip up to Copper, which was when we first experimented with fursuit skiing/snowboarding. The experience and time with friends was so much fun that we wanted to share it with others. We organized some close friends, rented an amazing house for the weekend, and we’ve continued that tradition every year, expanding out to include many new furry faces.
Who are we?
What to Expect
- FSW is a very welcoming, laid-back, communal environment. Many of the attendees know each other and have been friends for years. All are eager and willing to contribute toward everyone else’s enjoyment through providing rides, helping cook and clean, and by being respectful of all others.
- We go to great lengths to make sure you have the best experience here possible. We provide food for breakfast and dinner, as well as a variety of snacks and drinks. We provide a vast array of beers, spirits, and smoking item, all unlimited and free to all attending. Games and music of all varieties will be provided as well.
- Fursuits abound both on and off the slopes. Wear yours where and whenever you like. Other skiers on the slopes and those in the village love us and will often ask for pictures and/or hugs, so expect a lot of attention!
- It’s often been said FSW is like a con where everyone you like is always at the same room party. We’re big on having fun and being furry!
- We tend to congregate each night in the main house, but there are not official events other than our fursuit runs. However you like to spend your time is fine with us.
- Generally on Sat afternoon we all get together to do our official fursuit runs. We’ll have several spotters and those with cameras and/or video cameras. We’ll do 2-3 runs (you’re welcome to any number, but don’t feel obligated), then meet afterwards for tubing, which copper has very graciously agreed to provide us free of charge.
- We’re not officially a non-profit, however we put 100% of our meager profits back into FSW. This will often manifest as new Go-Pros for recording, more amenities for you, and other improvements.
When is it?
- Feb 9-12, 2017
- Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Houses should be open at 2pm Thursday
- Sunday we have to be out of the houses by 10am
To attend you will need to…
- Be at least 21 years old (or will be by the first day of FSW).
- Create an account/profile.
- To know us, or you need to have other current or previous attendees to vouch for you.
- Be able to exist harmoniously alongside all other attendees and be respectful to both the houses and Copper Mountain.
- Arrange your own transport to and from the houses.
- Make your payments in full once approved to secure your spot.
- Registration will open September 1st.
- You’ll need to register an account to sign-up for FSW.
- Click Attending -> “Registration and Status” to register for the current year.
- If you are approved the status in your profile will change to reflect it. You’ll be sent an email, and you will then have the ability to pay.
- We currently accept around 60 attendees.
- FSW is not first-come-first-serve, but requesting to attend beyond the first couple days will almost certainly mean you’ll end up on the waitlist.
- The houses are at 9700 ft (2956 m), and the runs on the mountain range up to 12,100 Ft (3688 m).
- The air is thin and some people have had adverse affects as a result. Aspirin, water, and rest tend to help alleviate these.
- The air is very dry. We suggest you drink plenty of water. We also have humidifiers available if you’re having trouble sleeping.
- Alcohol and other substances tend to be stronger at altitude (almost double strength), so be sure you take this into account while enjoying them.
- Since 2013 owning and use of cannabis has been legal in the state of CO.
- Anyone 21+ in the state can purchase cannabis, you don’t need to be a resident.
- Cannabis has become very potent, and we suggest you follow these guidelines if you intend to consume it:
- Start with low dose of THC for your first time. Edibles in 5mg (low), 10mg (med), and 15m (high).
- Edibles can take between 30mins and 3 hours to take effect, so keep this in mind before dosing a second time. Inhaled cannabis through either smoke or vapor will usually have an effect within 5 minutes.
- There is a “come-up” period during with the effects will increase in intensity. This will eventually plateau and then slowly decline over the next few hours.
- Should cannabis in any form be available at FSW it will be clearly labeled as such, along with its THC content.
- Duration of effects vary by dosage, but expect a least a few hours.
- Cannabis has been known to have the following side effects:
- Increased heart rate
- Dry Mouth
- Bloodshot eyes
- Short-term memory impairment
- Visual distortions
- Significantly increased or decreased libido
- Decongestant like effects
- Reduced pain and inflammation
- Increased focus and depth of thought
- Panic Attacks
- Increased appetite
- Heightened musical appreciation
- Reduced reaction time and inhibited reflexes
- The altitude can increase the effects of cannabis, so please keep this in mind when dosing.
- You cannot overdose on cannabis, but you can have a bad time. If you have consumed/smoked cannabis and are having a problem just let someone know. We’re more than happy to offer comfort and help. The effects will end, and you will be fine.
- We don’t recommend you consume alcohol with cannabis as the latter can increase the effects of the former, hasten dehydration, and can make alcohol poisoning more likely. However, one or two beers (or its equivalent) to calm your nerves is likely okay, depending on your tolerance.
- Cannabis cannot be smoked inside any of the houses.
- It is not legal to smoke or consume cannabis in public.
- Cannabis can stay in your system for an extended period. Keep this in mind in case you might be required to take a drug test of any kind.
- It is not legal to transport cannabis in or out of Colorado.
- Everyone is welcome to come.
- We will have spotters as well as people taking pictures and videos the whole time.
- Expect to get asked for lots of pictures.
- We will do 2-3 official fursuit runs as a group on Sat, but you’re welcome to do them yourself as often as you like.
- All runs will be a mix of Green and Blues, with a focus on making it easier so more people can participate. We will coordinate rides to and from the lifts, as well as the runs themselves.
- Difficulty will be largely based on your fursuit’s visibility and flexibility. In general, we consider fursuit skiing/snowboarding reasonably difficult, and shifts the difficulty of any given run up a level.
How room assignments are made:
- Our housing situation is unique as the houses we rent offer various rooming options all the way from king beds to bunk beds. Making sure that everyone’s room situation works for them is a difficult task and we do our best to accommodate all requests.
- Rooms at the main Masters house with larger beds are assigned at our discretion. These rooms typically go to folks who spend time helping out at FSW, or have been long time attendees. The single beds are assigned to non-couples. Since this house is the main congregation area if you would prefer to not stay there due to wanting to get to sleep early then please let us know. If you really would like to stay in the main house the best chance you have of doing so is requesting a single.
- The larger beds at all the other houses will fill up accommodating couples first and then with those who have requested roommates. After all the larger beds are full the single beds will be filled doing our best to accommodate roommate requests.
- After rooms are assigned you are free to switch with anyone you like provided that all involved are okay with it.
- We will begin accepting payments from approved individuals beginning Sept 1st.
- Pay by selecting the appropriate items from the Shop.
- Payments need to be made in full to reserve your spot.
- Partial payments will not be accepted unless specifically coordinated with event organizers.
- Payments will only be accepted through the website. All other payments will be rejected or refunded, any applicable charges will apply.
Payment Cut-Off Date
- 6 weeks from the time of opening – Oct 13th
- Payment in full will need to be made by this date or you will moved either to the waitlist or be declined from attending
- Refunds may be requested if for any reason you cannot attend.
- You can request a refund from the Registration and Status page.
- Refunds will be issued minus any transaction fees.
- Paypal’s transaction fee: 2.9% + $0.30/transaction.
- Jan 1st
- This is the date after which we will no longer be able to offer a refund for your slot unless you can find a replacement for yourself (and anyone else you paid for).
- This is also the date after which if you have paid the deposit but have not paid in full you will be bumped to the Waitlist
- We may have a limited number of refundable lift tickets. If these haven’t been depleted, we can at least offer you their value.
- The reason for this is twofold. First, our margins are kept tight so we can offer everyone attending the best possible experience for the cost. Second, we reserve houses based on interest, and any unused spaces costs us directly.
- Should you need to cancel after this date we will do everything we can to find you a replacement so that we can offer you a full refund.
Rules of Conduct
- No one who isn’t a part of FSW is allowed on the premise of any of our houses without prior approval.
- Day passes will be available.
- Anyone who plans on buying a day pass should create an account prior to arrival.
- No one who isn’t a part of FSW nor anyone who hasn’t paid for a room can spend the night at any of our houses.
- If room is available and one of the three organizers has approved it, we may be able to provide space for an appropriate fee.
- Weapons, including, but not limited to, guns, stun guns, pepper spray/mace, batons, martial arts weapons, are not allowed on the premise of any of our houses.
- Pocket knifes with blades under 4 inches are allowed.
- Illegal drugs and other contraband items are not allowed on the premise of any of our houses.
- No one under 21 years of age will be allowed on the premise of any of our houses.
- Unwanted, persistent sexual advances; inappropriate physical contact; harassment; threats; and bullying are not allowed on the premise of any of our houses nor in any surrounding areas including all of Copper Mtn.
- No pets are allowed in any of the houses.